Amrut Fusion Whisky
- Single Malt
- India, 700ml
On the nose, rich, barley, fruity. Big on citrus, spices, creamy sweetness. A hint of peat. On the palate, oaky, rich, gentle peat, coffee, dark chocolate. Fruity. To finish, long, spiced, marmalade, sweetness.
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Region: Bengaluru, India
- Alcohol: 50%
- Volume: 700ml
- Goes with: Ice
Jim Murray’s Third Finest Whisky in the World for 2010, Amrut Fusion is distilled from barley from Scotland and India, making this a true fusion of countries.
The Amrut distillery was founded in 1948 as Amrut Laboratories. Established by Shri J N Radhakrishna, the company started blending and bottling various alcoholic beverages. During the 1950s and 1960s, Amrut launched products for the Indian armed forces as well as the general market; products included the dark rum Amrut XXX and Silver Cup Brandy. During the 1970s, Amrut began marketing a grape brandy called Bejois, made from Bangalore blue grapes.
It was not until the 1980s that the company began producing malt whisky. The guidelines for what constitutes a whisky in India are decidedly lax, in fact 90% of whisky consumed in India is made from molasses and blended malt whisky can contain as little as 4% malt whisky. Amrut strived to provide a better product that would meet global requirements and employed the help of whisky experts from Scotland to perfect the processes. The barley is specially grown in the foothills of the Himalayas and the whisky is matured at 3,000ft at Bangalore. Due to the tropical conditions, the whisky matures extremely quickly. As much as fifteen percent abv is lost every year to the angel’s share, thus it is unwise to mature it for much more than a few years, lest the product drops below forty percent abv and ceases to be whisky.
- Gold - 2020 International Wine & Spirits Competition
- Third Finest Whisky in the World (97/100) - 2010 Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible
- Gold - 2014 Jim Murray's Whisky Bible - Liquid Gold Award
- Gold - 2014 Wizards of Whisky Awards - Asian Whisky
- World Whisky of the Year - 2011 - Malt Advocates Whisky Awards
- Grand Master of World Whisky - 2011 Spirits Business Awards (London)
- Master 2001 - 2011 Spirits Business Awards (London)
- Best Natural Cask Daily Drams - 2009 Malt Maniacs Awards
Adding product to your cart