Escarpment KUPE Pinot Noir 2019
- Pinot Noir
- New Zealand, 750ml
"Deep, ruby-red with a tinge of dark purple, lighter on the rim. The nose is full, lifting and alluring, aromas of red cherries, intermix plum, thyme flowers, stalk perfume, along with black pepper, nutmeg. Medium-full bodied, perfect ripeness nuances of cherry, plum enriched by dark herbs and violet fragrance; black pepper, nutmeg unveil with subtle milk chocolate. Savoury herbs and stalk linger with sweet floral to a long, fragranced sustained finish." Raymond Chan
- Winery: Escarpment
- Varietal: Pinot Noir
- Region: Martinborough, New Zealand
- Vintage: 2019
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- Volume: 750ml
- Closure: Screwcap
- Cellar potential: now until 2026
- Food pairing: Chicken & duck; lamb & mild sausage; tuna & salmon; mushroom risotto; mushroom & light-medium red sauces; brie & goats cheese
Kupe Pinot Noir originates from the Escarpment Vineyard’s closely planted block on Te Muna Road. The vines which have grown this wine have been our pride and joy since they were planted in 1999.
Inspired by wines from Burgundy, the high-density planting gives a unique opportunity for the Abel clone to express its self in a distinctive manner.
The Escarpment Vineyard, Martinborough, was born out of a passion for Pinot Noir. The wine styles are innovative for New Zealand. More complexity and structure is strived for with the wines, which will reward cellaring and be sublime matches with food.
The vineyard project by Larry McKenna is based around 24 hectares of prime viticultural land nestled on the banks overlooking the Huangarua River, Martinborough. Much of the vineyard is close-planted in the latest clones of Pinot Noir, supported by plantings of Pinot Gris and lesser plantings of Pinot Blanc, Riesling and Chardonnay.
The release of the Escarpment Kupe Pinot Noir 2005 heralded the arrival of one of New Zealand’s finest Pinot’s from one of our pioneer Pinot Noir producers. A true reflection of both Martinborough’s unique terroir and the skills and experience of winemaker Larry McKenna.
Larry was the recipient of The George Fistonich Medal at the 2008 New Zealand International Show, awarding him and the Escarpment Vineyard with ‘Legends of Wine’ status. In 2014 he was inducted into the New Zealand Wine Hall of Fame, which aims to recognise individuals who have made major contributions to the New Zealand wine industry.
- 97/100 Points - Raymond Chan Wine Reviews (2019 vintage)
- 95 Points - James Suckling (2019 vintage)
- 95/100 Points - Jo Czerwinski (2019 vintage)
- 9th Place (of 29) - 2019 The Real Review (2019 vintage)
- 95/100 Points - Bob Campbell (2018 vintage)
- 2nd Place (of 40) - 2018 The Real Review (2018 vintage)
- 94/100 Points - The Wine Advocate (2018 vintage)
- 98 Points - James Suckling (2017 vintage)
Adding product to your cart