Escarpment Pinot Noir 2018
- Pinot Noir
- New Zealand, 750ml
Perfume, elegant fruit flavours, and soft ripe tannins are all hallmarks of this exceptional Pinot Noir. A typical Martinborough summer has created the distinctive Escarpment style showing complexity, attractive texture and the perfect mix of black, red and green fruit flavours for which Pinot Noir is celebrated.
- Winery: Escarpment
- Varietal: Pinot Noir
- Region: Martinborough, New Zealand
- Vintage: 2018
- Alcohol: 13%
- Volume: 750ml
- Closure: Screwcap
- Cellar potential: now until 2026
- Food pairing: Chicken & duck; lamb & mild sausage; tuna & salmon; mushroom risotto; mushroom & light-medium red sauces; brie & goats cheese
Inspired by the classic wines of Burgundy, this Pinot Noir is a tribute to Martinborough’s unique terroir.
The Escarpment Vineyard, Martinborough, was born out of a passion for Pinot Noir. The wine styles are innovative for New Zealand. More complexity and structure is strived for with the wines, which will reward cellaring and be sublime matches with food.
The vineyard project by Larry McKenna is based around 24 hectares of prime viticultural land nestled on the banks overlooking the Huangarua River, Martinborough. Much of the vineyard is close-planted in the latest clones of Pinot Noir, supported by plantings of Pinot Gris and lesser plantings of Pinot Blanc, Riesling and Chardonnay.
The release of the Escarpment Kupe Pinot Noir 2005 heralded the arrival of one of New Zealand’s finest Pinot’s from one of our pioneer Pinot Noir producers. A true reflection of both Martinborough’s unique terroir and the skills and experience of winemaker Larry McKenna.
Larry was the recipient of The George Fistonich Medal at the 2008 New Zealand International Show, awarding him and the Escarpment Vineyard with ‘Legends of Wine’ status. In 2014 he was inducted into the New Zealand Wine Hall of Fame, which aims to recognise individuals who have made major contributions to the New Zealand wine industry.
- 91/100 Points - Bob Campbell, The Real Review
- 89/100 Points - Joe Czerwinski, Wine Advocate
- 5 Stars & 94/100 - Sam Kim, Wine Orbit (2017 Vintage)
- 93/100 Points - Wine Enthusiast (2017 vintage)
- 4 Stars - The Real Review (2017 vintage)
- 94/100 Points - James Suckling (2017 vintage)
- 4 Stars - The Real Review (2016 vintage)
- 95/100 Points - James Suckling (2016 vintage)
- 5 Stars & 19/20 Points - Raymond Chan (2016 vintage)
Adding product to your cart