Glenmorangie The Original 10YO Whisky 1L
- Single Malt
- Scotland, 1,000ml
This multi-award winning Glenmorangie starts with the scent of citrus and ripening peaches is softened by the aroma of vanilla. On the palate, first, vanilla is detected on the tongue before it ripples along the palate bringing a burst of flowery fruitiness. About a minute after tasting, you are left with a clean and salving aftertaste with hints of orange and peach.
- Distillery: Glenmorangie Distillery
- Type: Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Region: Highland, Scotland
- Alcohol: 40%
- Volume: 1,000ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
The Original is the flagship single malt Scotch whisky from the Glenmorangie Distillery in the Highlands. Matured in a combination of first-and-second-fill American white oak casks for 10 years, the expression is a benchmark for creamy, approachable single malt. A long-running go-to dram for many whisky enthusiasts.
The Glenmorangie distillery was established in 1843, on the Dornoch Firth by brothers William and John Matheson. The site originally held a farm distillery under the name Morangie. There is evidence that distillation was carried out at this site during the early 18th century. Production began in November of 1849. During the latter part of the 19th century Glenmorangie began overseas exportation and destinations included Europe and the United States.
Such was the dependence on foreign trade that the distillery closed in 1931 following the enactment of US Prohibition and the Great Depression. The distillery remained closed until November of 1936. Macdonald and Muir Ltd, who purchased the company over the early part of the 19th century, put Glenmorangie Plc up for sale. Glenmorangie Plc included the distilleries Ardbeg, Glen Moray and Glenmorangie and, after frenzied bidding, the group was acquired by Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessey for £300 million.
To some extent, Glenmorangie were pioneers in the field of wood finishes. Delectable examples include the Sauternes-finished Nectar D'Or and the Côte De Beaune-finished twelve year-old. 2008 saw a rather unusual release; Glenmorangie's Signet. Signet is a single malt whisky distilled from chocolate malt and has a delightful flavour. The range is large and features a number of finished whiskies as well as the more traditional core expressions, like the cherished Glenmorangie 10.
In 2009, four more stills were added along with a larger mash tun and extra washbacks. Clearly that wasn’t enough, as in July 2018, construction began on a new stillhouse which will create space to house two more stills, as well as another building to house another two washbacks. It is due to be completed in 2019.
- Master - 2013 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Highlands & Islands up to 12yo
- Gold - 2017 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Highland
- Gold - 2014 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Highland
- Gold - 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition - Single Malt Scotch up to 12yo
- Silver - 2019 International Spirits Challenge - Distillers' Single Malts 12yo & under
- Silver - 2014 International Spirits Challenge - Distillers' Single Malts 12yo & under
- Silver Outstanding - 2013 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Highland
- Silver - 2019 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Highland
Adding product to your cart