Gordon Graham's Black Bottle
- Blended Whisky
- Scotland, 700ml
Candied ginger and cigar box, with charred herbs, chocolate spread on brown bread and a drizzle of golden syrup. On the nose, Polished oak and porridge with a sprinkle of brown sugar, with cut grass and very subtle smoke in support. Finishing with oak spice and honey.
- Distillery: Burn Stewart Distillers
- Type: Scotch Blend Whisky
- Region: Glasgow, Scotland
- Alcohol: 40%
- Volume: 700ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
Relaunched in 2013, Black Bottle Blended Scotch whisky now features a balanced mix of fruitiness and spice alongside the peaty Islay notes that the brand has been known for.
Black Bottle was established by the three sons of the Aberdeen shoemaker, James Graham. In 1850, the three brothers opened an office on Market Street in Aberdeen. The trio had started out in the tea trade; Aberdeen is a port and was a hub for tea importation from China and Ceylon. The Grahams also developed quite an aptitude for whisky blending and created a rather powerful blend, namely Black Bottle blended Scotch Whisky which was first launched in 1879. Tea was still their staple business until 1881 when they moved to Regent Street and concentrated their efforts solely on whisky blending.
The blended whisky was originally named for the black bottle in which the whisky was sold, this changed in 1914 with the onset of the First World War; for the previous bottle was German-made and had to be replaced, thus a green bottle was used for some time. David Graham died in 1919 and the business was left to the youngest brother, Charles Innes Graham. He took to driving around the country in his car, an itinerant vendor, hawking his flavoursome and peaty wares.
In 1926, Charles Innes died and he left in his wake a profitable business of which his wife Ann Jane Graham assumed control. By the mid 20th century, the Black Bottle brand was becoming highly lucrative. Today the bottle is black once more and it is a blend made up of a proportion of malt whisky from every distillery on Islay.
- Bronze - 2019 NZ Spirits Awards - Whisky
- Silver - 2019 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Blended – No Age Statement
- Gold - 2018 Jim Murray's Whisky Bible - Liquid Gold Award
- Gold - 2018 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Blended – No Age Statement
- Silver - 2018 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Silver - 2018 International Spirits Challenge
- Silver - 2017 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Whisky - Blended
- Silver - 2017 International Spirits Challenge
- Gold - 2015 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Blended: Standard
- Silver - 2014 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Whisky - Blended
Adding product to your cart