Kanonkop Kadette Pinotage 2018
- South Africa, 750ml
This dangerously drinkable Kadette Pinotage 2018 has intense purple hues with lively aromas of fresh plums, mulberries and allspice, followed by a meaty undertone. The palate displays an inherent earthy touch, with flavours of crimson beetroot and maraschino cherries. Coherent balance between the fruit and the fresh acidity, with muscular support from the tightly woven tannin structure.
- Winery: Kononkop - Abrie Beeslaar
- Varietal: Pinotage
- Region: Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Vintage: 2018
- Alcohol: 14%
- Volume: 750ml
- Closure: Cork
- Other: Contains sulphites
- Food pairing: Grilled beef, burgers, venison, pork, sausages, lamb and portabello mushrooms; smoked duck; meaty lasagne, risottos and pizzas; Indian curry dishes; mild cheeses
The wine features the classic characteristics of South Africa’s famous home-grown grape variety. Pinotage is a South African crossing between Pinot Noir and Cinsault (formally known as Hermitage) that produces full, rustic wines.
Kanonkop Estate is situated on the lower slopes of the Simonsberg Mountain in the Stellenbosch Region of the Cape and confidently boasts with some of South Africa’s most premium wines.
Kanonkop is a fourth generation family estate, which was originally purchased by JW Sauer, a cabinet member in the parliament of the Union of South Africa. This estate has since then been handed down from father to son for over 40 years and is now in the talented, capable hands of its current owners Paul & Johann Krige.
"Kanonkop" - the name Kanonkop was derived from a kopje (hillock), from which a cannon was fired in the 17th Century to alert farmers in outlying areas that sailing ships plying the waters between Europe and the Far East had entered Table Bay for a stopover at Cape Town.
Kanonkop Estate is situated on the lower slopes of the Simonsberg Mountain in the Stellenbosch Region of the Cape. It is between Stellenbosch and Paarl on the R44 and falls in a ward called Simonsberg, more commonly known as the “red wine bowl” of South Africa. It has earned a reputation both at home and abroad as the area producing the best wines in the country. The Estate is situated on 125 hectares, of which 100 hectares are planted to vine. Besides the solid foundation on which the estate’s winemaking principles are based, it is also blessed with ideal soils, cool sea breezes and long summer days, creating the perfect climate for growing grapes.
- 92/100 Points - Tim Atkin MW
- 4 Stars - Platter’s Guide
- Most Admired Wine Brand (Africa & Middle East) - 2020 Drink’s International
- 92/100 Points - Tim Atkin MW (2017 vintage)
- 4 Stars - Platter’s Guide (2017 vintage)
- 88/100 Points - Neal Martin (2016 vintage)
- 90/100 Points - Tim Atkin MW (2016 vintage)
- 4 Stars - Platter’s Guide (2016 vintage)
- 91/100 Points - Tim Atkin MW (2016 vintage)
- 91/100 Points - Tim Atkin MW (2015 vintage)
- 4 Stars - Platter’s Guide (2014 vintage)
- 91/100 Points - Tim Atkin MW (2014 vintage)
Adding product to your cart