PASK Declaration Merlot 2013
- New Zealand, 750ml
Deep purple colour. Ripe intense berry fruit and meaty aromas supported by French oak. Brooding dense palate, well-structured with ripe dark fruits and silky ripe tannins. Plush and lingering.
- Winery: Pask Winery
- Varietal: Merlot
- Region: Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
- Vintage: 2013
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- Volume: 750ml
- Other: Sustainable Winegrowing
- Closure: Screwcap
- Food pairing: Grilled beef, lamb, pork & chicken; burgers; pasta with tomato-based sauces; garlic & mushrooms; mild-medium cheeses
Declaration wines are powerful, elegant wines PASK declare as their best. They are only made in exceptional vintages.
Many frosts through spring, with October warming and temperatures continuing to rise in November and December, peaking in mid-January. Fine calm days and cold nights with little wind or rainfall, hard to imagine a better vintage.
Chris Pask's vision for his winery began in the air – flying in the cockpit of his topdressing plane – first saw the potential for growing exceptional grapes in the light, stony soils of the ancient Ngaruroro riverbed. Sheltered from Pacific breezes and several degrees warmer than any other New Zealand wine-growing area, it was in this sun-drenched valley that Chris planted Pask’s first vines thirty years ago.
A prized 1985 Cabernet Sauvignon marked Pask's first vintage and from this modest beginning, the world-renowned Gimblett Gravels wine-growing district was established. More than three decades later, they’re as passionate as ever about making authentic wines to be shared and enjoyed.
Pask's award-winning winemaking team uses sustainable methods to ensure the quality and consistency of their wines. From grape-picking in the winery's 60 hectares of vineyards to bottling at their Hawke’s Bay winery, there is hands-on care throughout the entire winemaking process.
Pask wines have earned gold medals and trophy success in London, Australia, Asia, the United States, Canada and New Zealand across a range of varietals and styles, but innovation is important to Pask. Drawing on the team's winemaking experience and intimate knowledge of Gimblett Gravels, they continue to enhance the quality of their wines, as well as experiment with wine styles and techniques under Pask's “Small Batch” collection.
- Gold - 2017 Decanter World Wine Awards
- 96/100 Points - Cameron Douglas, MS “The Shout”
- 92/100 Points - Bob Campbell MW
- 4.5 Stars - Michael Cooper’s Wine Buyer’s Guide
- Silver - 2017 International Wine & Spirits Competition
- 4.5 Stars - Winestate Magazine 2018
- Silver - 2015 AWC Vienna International Wine Show
- Silver - 2019 Texsom International Wine Awards
- Silver - Hawke’s Bay A&P Show 2016 & 2017
Adding product to your cart