Powers John's Lane Release 12YO
- Irish Whiskey
- Ireland, 700ml
A very well balanced whiskey with not a note out of place. Lovely. On the nose, barley, copper, fresh oak, leather and juicy fruit. On the palate, very smooth with vanilla, dry spice, chocolate and coffee. There is dark fruit here too, raisins and blackcurrants. To finish, more vanilla and drying copper notes.
- Distillery: Midleton Distillery
- Type: Irish Whiskey - Single Pot Still
- Region: Cork, Ireland
- Alcohol: 46%
- Volume: 700ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
A single pot still release of Powers whisky. It's matured in a combination of bourbon and oloroso sherry casks, and named after the distillery where it was first made.
One of the most famous names in Irish whiskey since James Power founded John's Lane distillery in Dublin back in 1791, through to the establishment of Irish Distillers in the late 1960s. Since the 1970s, it has been produced at the excellent Midleton Distillery. The Powers range includes blended Irish whiskey (their Gold label) and rich single pot still Irish whiskeys such as the tremendous John's Lane Release, so called as it represents a return to the full-flavoured traditional Dublin style.
Midleton Distillery is the home of Jameson Irish whiskey as well as Redbreast, Powers and the Spot whiskeys, but they also release premium single pot still Irish whiskeys under their own label. The buildings of the Midleton distillery began life rather abstemiously; used as a wool mill in the very late eighteenth century. Leased by Marcus Lynch, the buildings were sold to the government, who subsequently sold them to the Archbishop of Cashel in 1823 for the sum of £1,750. The Archbishop died later that year and the buildings were inherited by Lord Midleton. It was the three brothers Murphy who converted the mill into a distillery in 1825. They had acquired the buildings for £4,000. Stills were installed, including the world’s largest still with a capacity of 31,618 gallons. The distillery produced a range of brands and in 1966 the company joined John Powers and John Jameson to form the Irish Distillers Group and a new distillery was built at Midleton to produce all of their brands. This new distillery now has a capacity of 60m litres, following a large expansion project in 2013.
- Gold - 2020 The Irish Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Irish Single Pot Still - Super-Premium
- Gold - 2019 The Irish Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Irish Single Pot Still - Premium
- Gold - 2019 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Irish Whiskey - Single Pot Still
- Third Place - 2015 Wizards of Whisky Awards - World Other Grain Whisky of the Year
- Gold - 2014 Jim Murray's Whisky Bible - Liquid Gold Award
- Gold - 2014 The Irish Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Irish Single Pot Still - Premium
- Silver - 2014 Wizards of Whisky Awards - Irish Whiskey
- Silver Outstanding - 2014 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Irish Whiskey - Single Pot Still
- Silver - 2013 The Irish Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Irish Single Pot Still
- Silver Outstanding - 2013 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Irish Whiskey - Single Pot Still
- Bronze - 2013 Malt Maniacs Awards - Premium
- Winner - 2012 World Whiskies Awards - Best Irish Pot Still
- Winner - 2012 Jim Murray's Whisky Bible - Irish Whiskey of the Year
- Winner - 2012 World Whiskies Awards - World's Best Pot Still Whiskey
Adding product to your cart