Serafino Shiraz 2018
- Australia, 750ml
This classy, multi-award winning Shiraz is black/purple in colour, the nose displays subtle vanilla/cedar oak, mulberry, chocolate, spice and Satsuma Plum. This powerful Shiraz shows distinctive regional characters of dark chocolate, black prunes, pepper, liquorice and spicy cedary oak on the palate, with ripe loganberry fruit and oak perfectly integrated.
- Winery: Serafino
- Varietal: Shiraz
- Region: South Australia, Australia
- Vintage: 2018
- Alcohol: 14%
- Volume: 750ml
- Closure: Screwcap
- Other: Contains sulphites, cellar up to 2036
- Food match: Beef, Game meat, pork, spicy sausage, pizza, Roquefort/bleu-veined cheeses
McLaren Vale and Shiraz - the perfect match. Steve Maglieri is the icon behind the Serafino name and his Shiraz is a typically wonderful full-flavoured and full-bodied red with the black and red fruits you can handle. Enjoy upon release and cellar up to 2032.
The Serafino story began in 1964 when Steve (Serafino) Maglieri arrived in Australia from Italy as a passionate teenager full of dreams. Two years later, with the assistance of his father Giovanni, he planted his first vines in McLaren Vale that now extends to 350 acres. Laying the foundation of a winemaking dynasty that today is known as Serafino Wines and overseen by his daughter, Maria.
From the beginning, Steve and his father worked from dawn to dusk, seven days a week to produce wines of such outstanding quality. It wasn’t long before the accolades began to flow. It’s love that saw him become Australia’s "Lambrusco King" in the 1990s, branding the wine inspired in part by his homeland under his family name. Demand for Lambrusco was so high that at its peak, Steve was producing more than four million bottles a year before selling his company to Mildara Blass in 1998.
As early as 1979, Steve was crowned ‘Bushing King’ for best red wine in the McLaren Vale Wine Show – an honour he achieved again in 1992 and 2007 - while further national recognition followed in 1997 when he won the trophy for Best Shiraz in the Great Australian Wine Challenge. Numerous awards have followed including the Trophy for Best Shiraz and Red Wine of the Year at the London International Wine Challenge in 1997 and earning the Trophy for the most consistent Shiraz at the London International Wine Challenge after winning Gold in its class for five consecutive years.
Today Steve’s daughter Maria Maglieri is the driving force of Serafino Wines, forging ahead with traditional McLaren Vale varieties as well as exciting Italian-style wines such as Fiano, Lagrein, Vermentino, Sangiovese, Pinot Grigio, Nebbiolo and Primitivo plus the Spanish variety Tempranillo. Serafino’s rich Italian heritage shines through the names of many wines including Terremoto, the Italian word for ‘earthquake’ that is also a term of endearment to describe a spirited individual full of life and energy. Friends and family often refer to Steve as ‘Terremoto’.
Nowadays, Steve continues to be the face of Serafino and enjoys hosting local, national and international guests at Serafino Restaurant, and still loves checking the vines, tasting wines and lending a hand inside the winery. He is an active member in South Australia’s Italian community, and loves playing golf.
- Gold - 2020 CWSA Wine Show
- Double Gold - 2021 Women’s Wine & Spirit Awards
- Gold - 2020 New Zealand International Wine Show
- Silver - 2020 London Wine Show
- Silver - 2020 Decanter Wine Awards
- Silver - 2020 McLaren Vale Wine Show
- Bronze - 2020 New Zealand New World Wine Awards
- Bronze - 2019 Royal Adelaide Wine Show
- Bronze - 2019 Royal Melbourne Wine Show
- Bronze - 2019 National Wine Show of Australia
- Bronze - 2019 Great Australian Shiraz Challenge
- 92/100 Points & 4 Star Silver Ribbon - 2021 The Real Review – reviewed by Ralph Kyte-Powell
- Gold Medal & 95/100 – 2019 New World Wine Awards (2016 vintage)
- 4 Stars - 2019 Cuisine Australian Shiraz Tasting (2016 vintage)
- 94/100 & Special Value - 2019 James Halliday Wine Companion (2016 vintage)
- Gold - 2018 CWSA China Wine & Spirit Awards (2016 vintage)
- Silver 2018 International Wines and Spirits Competition (2016 vintage)
- Silver - 2018 New World Wine Awards, NZ (2016 vintage)
- Gold - 2018 AWC Vienna International Wine Challenge (2016 vintage)
- Silver - 2018 National Wine Show of Australia (2016 vintage)
- 90/100 - 2018 Campbell Mattinson, The Wine Front (2016 vintage)
- Silver - 2017 Great Australian Shiraz Challenge (2016 vintage)
Adding product to your cart