Shaw + Smith Shiraz 2019
- Australia, 750ml
"A super-ripe dark-plum and blackberry nose with pepper and spice aromas, together with some smoky and graphite-like elements. Plenty of complexity. So fleshy and deep with a smooth tannin texture and dark plums and blackberries sitting fresh into the finish. Rich, sweet red-fruit tones to close." James Suckling
- Winery: Shaw + Smith
- Varietal: Shiraz
- Region: Adelaide Hills, Australia
- Vintage: 2019
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- Volume: 750ml
- Closure: Screwcap
- Other: Vegan-friendly, Sustainable Winegrowing
- Food match: Lamb roast, beef, game meat, pork & pepperoni; tuna & salmon; pizza; BBQ & heavy red sauces; bleu-veined cheeses
Shaw + Smith Shiraz is a medium bodied cool-climate Shiraz, in which balance is more important than power. The 2019 vintage exhibits balance and elegance, with concentrated red and blue fruit, perfumed aromatics and great flow on the palate.
Shaw + Smith was established in 1989 by cousins Michael Hill Smith MW and Martin Shaw. They make wines exclusively from the Adelaide Hills, from varieties that suit the cooler climate: Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Shiraz. Shaw + Smith own two vineyards, in Lenswood and Balhannah. Balhannah is also home to the winery where the Tasting Room is open daily.
Growing the best possible grapes, managing vineyards sustainably, and valuing vine health, soil health, and low yields are central to the Shaw + Smith approach. In the pursuit of quality, all grapes continue to be hand-picked, and the wines are fermented, aged and bottled on site at Balhannah. The wines are vibrant, medium bodied expressions of their varieties that reflect their sites and region.
Shaw + Smith’s first vintage was in 1990, and the early vintages were made at Wirra Wirra and Petaluma. In 1999 they purchased a property at Balhannah, where they planted vines, and built the winery and tasting room in time for the 2000 vintage. In 2012 they purchased an established 20 hectare vineyard in Lenswood. As the business has grown Michael and Martin have built a formidable team to continue the evolution of Shaw + Smith, including Master of Wine David LeMire, Senior Winemaker Adam Wadewitz, Business Manager Grant Lovelock and Group Viticulturist Murray Leake.
Shaw + Smith own two vineyards in the Adelaide Hills, at Balhannah and Lenswood, totalling 55 hectares. The vineyards are planted to varieties that perform particularly well in the region, namely Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Shiraz.
Site selection is particularly important in the Adelaide Hills, with its diversity of altitude, aspect, microclimate, and soil. They also use a number of different cultivars or ‘clones’ of each grape variety, which contribute different qualities to the final product.
- 98/100 Points - Decanter, David Sly (2019 vintage)
- 95/100 Points - James Suckling (2019 vintage)
- 95/100 Points - Huon Hooke, The Real Review (2019 vintage)
- 94/100 Points - Ray Jordan, The West Australian (2019 vintage)
- 94/100 Points - Andrew Graham, Oz Wine Review (2019 vintage)
- 95/100 Points - James Suckling (2018 vintage)
- 95/100 Points - The Wine Front (2018 vintage)
- 95/100 Points - The Real Review (2018 vintage)
- 94/100 Points - Decanter (2018 vintage)
- 97/100 Points - James Halliday (2016 vintage)
- 96/100 Points - Campbell Mattison, The Wine Front (2016 vintage)
- 95/100 Points - Huon Hooke, The Real Review (2016 vintage)
- 4 Stars - Cuisine Magazine (2016 vintage)
Adding product to your cart