Tantalus Evoque Reserve 2016
- Merlot, Malbec, Cabernets
- New Zealand, 750ml
Deep ruby with a vermillion hue, elegant and multi layered this merlot dominant blend presents a nose of dark berry compote, dried herbs and freshly brewed espresso. Flavours of blackcurrant, red berries and cocoa over wild thyme, tobacco and cedar lead the way to an extremely long finish.
- Winery: Tantalus Estate
- Varietal: Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec
- Region: Waiheke Island, New Zealand
- Vintage: 2016
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- Volume: 750ml
- Closure: Screwcap
- Cellaring Potential: 2019 - 2025
- Other: Sustainable Winegrowing, contains sulphites
- Food pairing: Scotch fillet with pan jus, Confit duck legs, Truffle oil pasta and mushrooms, Braised short ribs, Hard cheese
Fermented in stainless steel open-top fermenters, with indigenous and selected yeasts. Extended maceration for extraction. Punched down up to 4 times per day. Air pulses. Gentle basket pressing and transferred into mostly new French oak for 12 months months maturation. 4 rackings during élevage. No fining.
Nobody thought that the Tantalus Estate on Waiheke Island could be restored to its former glory, but when you’re the kind of people where determination replaces sleep like Campbell and Carrie Aitken, anything is possible! After tirelessly pruning, clipping, and ripping out the original vines, a bit of experience in tourism (and a lot of determined Kiwi ingenuity), Campbell and Carrie bought and transformed the old brewery into the estate that it is today: Proud, elegant and premium.
The Aitken’s love and understanding of people and cultures is the foundation of everything that they do at Tantalus Estate, and it shows in their winery as well as their hospitality. Their winemaking process is characterised by elegance and subtlety, constantly pursuing excellence and carefully choreographing every step of production so that each vintage is better than the last, every drop leaving an indelible impression.
- 89/100 Points - Robert Parkers Wine Advocate Bronze Medal - London IWC (2015 vintage)
- 93/100 Points - Cameron Douglas (2015 vintage)
- 5 Stars - Michael Cooper (2015 vintage)
- Silver & 90/100 Points - Decanter Asia wine awards (2015 vintage)
- 5 Stars & 96/100 Points - Bob Campbell MW (2014 vintage)
- 5 Stars & 18.5/20 Points - Raymond Chan (2014 vintage)
- 5 Stars & 93/100 Points - Sam Kim (2014 vintage)
- 4.5 Stars - Michael Cooper (2014 vintage)
- Silver - International Wine Challenge, London (2014 vintage)
Adding product to your cart