Valli Gibbston Pinot Noir 2018
- Pinot Noir
- New Zealand, 750ml
"Valli’s 2018 Gibbston Vineyard Pinot Noir offers up a stunning array of herbal-floral aromas, hinting at roses, tea and mint, all backed by a core of red cherries. It’s medium-bodied, silky and fine, with plentiful (but ripe) tannins. What a beauty!” Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
- Winery: Valli Vineyards
- Varietal: Pinot Noir
- Region: Gibbston Valley, Otago, New Zealand
- Vintage: 2018
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- Volume: 750ml
- Closure: Screwcap
- Other: Contains sulphites
- Food pairing: Chicken & duck; lamb & mild sausage; tuna & salmon; mushroom risotto; mushroom & light-medium red sauces; brie & goats cheese
“An immediately engaging bouquet with aromas of baking spices and fruit, wood smoke and vanilla. Fresh red cherries and red apple skin, crushed red flowers and a touch of rocky minerality. There’s texture and vibrato in the bouquet which translates through to the palate with fine chalky tannins and a soft unfiltered suggestion. Youthful, fresh and lively on the palate with flavours that reflect the nose plus a soft wild thyme note, earthy and fruity, balanced and lengthy. Nice wine, drinking well now and through 2025.” Cameron Douglas
Grant Taylor’s name is synonymous with Otago Pinot Noir. As owner and winemaker, Grant has been crafting wines there since 1993 when the region was in its infancy with only 20 ha planted, (today there are over 1700). Grant’s accomplishments are well known in the wine world, he is possibly New Zealand’s most awarded Pinot Noir producer, credited with winning the Best Pinot Noir Trophy at a major International Wine Competition in London an unprecedented four times – a feat achieved by no other winemaker in the world. Born in Oregon, Jen Parr is a winemaker and wine judge who joined the Valli team in 2015, having had extensive international experience of over 30 vintages worldwide and 17 vintages in New Zealand.
Established in 1998, the aim of Valli is to produce single vineyard wines with an emphasis on expressing the site with clarity and purity. Based around the close-planted estate vineyard in Gibbston, Valli also produces Single-Vineyard Pinot Noirs from Bannockburn, Bendigo and the Waitaki Valley, a dry Pinot Gris from Gibbston, and a Riesling from Waitaki. With holistic attention to detail in both the vineyard and winery, these wines both reflect and translate the sites they evolve from.
All four Pinot Noirs and Old vine Riesling are multi award winners every vintage and also highly sought after by our customers with Valli wine demand always exceeding our supply.
"Unique and supremely high quality expressions of Otago regionality. The path to understanding and recognising regionality and terroir has not been expressed with great success in New Zealand, but Grant Taylor’s wines must be considered among the best at doing so." Raymond Chan on Valli, his 2016 Winery of the Year.
"Jen Parr couldn’t be more deserving of this award – especially as she is the only person to have been nominated as a finalist two years in a row. Her experience and attention to detail serve her well when creating wines of great quality and sense of place that are bound to delight any discerning wine lover." Judy Sarris, editor of Gourmet Traveller WINE, on Jen Parr's Winemaker of the Year 2020 win.
- 95/100 Points - Joe Czerwinski, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
- Judges Selection - TEXSOM International Wine Awards 2020 - Best NZ Red Award
- Named in the "Fine Wines of New Zealand List 2020”
- 96/100 Points - 5 Stars - Sam Kim, Wine Orbit
- 95/100 Points - Bob Campbell MW
- 95/100 Points - Gourmet Traveller WINE Magazine
- 93/100 Points - Nick Stock, James Suckling
- 93/100 Points - Cameron Douglas MS
- 92/100 Points - Decanter World Wine Awards 2020
- 92/100 Points - Wine Spectator
- 92/100 Points - Tom Cannavan
- 19/20 Points - Joelle Thomson
- 5 Stars - Michael Cooper, Winestate Magazine
Adding product to your cart