Wirra Wirra Catapult 2019
- Australia, 750ml
"Offering fabulous fruit richness and perfume, the bouquet shows black/blueberry, floral, thyme and cedar characters. The concentrated palate delivers excellent fruit purity combined with seductive oak nuances, backed by velvety texture and fine- grained tannins, making it wonderfully drinkable." Sam Kim
- Winery: Wirra Wirra
- Varietal: Shiraz
- Region: McLaren Vale, Australia
- Vintage: 2019
- Alcohol: 14%
- Volume: 750ml
- Closure: Screwcap
- Food match: Lamb roast, beef, game meat, pork & pepperoni; tuna & salmon; pizza; BBQ & heavy red sauces; bleu-veined cheeses
The late Gregg Trott saw many of his unusual dreams realised at Wirra Wirra. Yet one vision elluded him – to build a medieval siege machine, or trebuchet. Why? To use as a catapult to bomb neighbouring wineries with bottles of wine of course!
The ironstone cellars of Wirra Wirra house a history rich in mischief, adventure and dedication to creating great wines. The winery was built in 1894 by an eccentric former state cricketer, who absconded to McLaren Vale after embarrassing his family one too many times.
It was re-built in the late 1960's by a visionary who dreamt of returning Wirra Wirra to its former glory. Greg Trott did more than that, he created a legacy of being dedicated to your craft while being equally serious about having fun and enjoying life.
"Perched atop our winery in a modest belltower sits a 3/4 tonne bell that we ring either on occasion or randomly; we like to hurl watermelons from a giant medieval siege machine erected on our lawns and securing our grounds is a boundary fence known as ‘Woodhenge’ made from massive threaded redgum trunks.
We celebrate our successes with gusto (wine in hand) and if we have no success to celebrate we always find another reason.
We’re serious about the wine we make, the wines we drink and the biodynamic vines we grow, but we believe that everything else should be fun…
We are the Wirra Wirra Tribe."
- Gold & 96/100 Points - Decanter World Wine Awards
- 94/100 Points - Sam Kim, Wine Orbit
- Gold - 2020 China Wine & Spirits Awards (2018 vintage)
- Gold - 2019 Royal Melbourne Wine Awards (2018 vintage)
- 94/100 Points - Ray Jordan - Top 100 Reds (2018 vintage)
- 93/100 Points - Nick Stock, James Suckling (2018 vintage)
- 93/100 Points - Winsor Dobbin (2018 vintage)
Adding product to your cart