Zabu Il Passo Nerello Mascalese 2019
- Nerello Mascalese
- Italy, 750ml
Bright red ruby in the glass with intense aromas of red fruits, spices and red flowers. The wine is vibrant, soft, full and intense with a bright red fruit character. Warm, with a silky texture, it is well-balanced with a persistent red fruity finish.
- Winery: Farnese - Zabu
- Varietal: Nerello Mascalese
- Region: Sicily, Italy
- Vintage: 2019
- Alcohol: 13%
- Volume: 750ml
- Closure: Cork
- Other: Contains sulphites
- Food pairing: Pasta with rich sauces, meat and seasoned cheeses
As soon as the grapes were ripe, the canes were cut and the grapes allowed to dry naturally in the hot Sicilian sun. When they had lost about 30% of their weight, the grapes were then harvested, pressed and underwent a long maceration on the skins. The wine was then aged for six months in barrique before bottling.
This is a young estate, with vineyards planted 5 years ago on the hills around Lake Arancio in Sambuca di Sicilia in southwestern Sicily. As with Vigneti del Vulture, this is another example of people planting vineyards and building a winery without the necessary expertise to make wines the market required. Enter Valentino Sciotti and his team of young winemakers, who have been able to take the raw materials and, as customers of Gran Sasso, Vesevo, Masseria Pietrosa and Lamadoro know, transform them into wines that people want to drink.
Farnese House dates back to 1582, based in Caldora Castle which has been restored and modernized to include offices and underground cellars where a lot of the top wines are aged prior to bottling. Farnese was restructured in 1994 and quickly became one of Italy's leading producers with vineyards in Ortona, Apulia, Basilicata and Campagna.
All wineries have and are producing highly acclaimed wines with two of their wines in the top 10 of the 2010 Luca Maroni Guide. These wines along with all wines from the Farnese group can be described as wines that 'deliver' in every sense of the word with taste, quality, and sensible pricing.
- Silver - 2019 Concours International de Lyon (2018 vintage)
- Silver - 2019 Korea Wine Challenge (2018 vintage)
- Bronze - 2018 Japan Wine Challenge (2017 vintage)
- Gold - 2017 AWC Vienna (2016 vintage)
- Bronze - 2016 Japan Wine Challenge (2015 vintage)
- Gold - 2016 AWC Vienna (2015 vintage)
- Bronze - 2016 International Wine Challenge (2015 vintage)
- Gold - 2016 Sydney International Wine Challenge (2014 vintage)
- Silver - 2015 Korea Wine Challenge (2014 vintage)
- Bronze - 2015 International Wine Challenge (2014 vintage)
- Silver - 2015 Sommelier Wine Awards (2014 vintage)
- Silver - 2015 Berliner Wein Trophy (2014 vintage)
- Chairman's Trophy - 2015 Ultimate Wine Challenge (2013 vintage)
Adding product to your cart