Bain's Cape Mountain Single Grain Whisky
- Single Grain
- South Africa, 750ml
On the nose, grapefruit peels, custard creams and icing sugar. Soon followed by nutmeg and vanilla sugar. Soft and well-rounded with continued vanilla cream. Fresh pear, banana and hints of cardamom and oak. Lightness throughout. At the finish, the sweet citrus peels return, along with a little bit of meadowsweet.
- Distillery: James Sedgwick’s Distillery
- Type: Single Grain Whisky
- Region: Western Cape, South Africa
- Alcohol: 43%
- Volume: 750ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
Released in 2009, this is South Africa's first ever single grain whisky, coming from the The James Sedgwick Distillery in Wellington. Bain's Cape Mountain whisky is matured in first fill bourbon casks for an initial three years before spending a further two years in fresh first fill bourbon casks!
The story of this South African distillery can be traced back to Captain James Sedgwick, a man regarded as one of the leading liquor industry forerunners of his time. His career had initially begun on the high seas in 1833, where he worked as a midshipman for the British East India Company and taken command of his first ship – the clipper Undine. Eventually, in 1850, he retired and set about to establish a new life. He founded the firm J. Sedgwick & Co., a purveyor of quality liquor, tobacco and cigars, which he ran until his death in 1872.
Two of his four sons continued their father’s business and were able to grow it exponentially, creating their own brandy and fortified wines in addition to selling imported wines and spirits. Such success enabled the duo to purchase buildings on the banks of the Berg River in 1886, on the same site that Africa's only commercial whisky distillery, James Sedgwick’s Distillery, stands today.
Based in Wellington, James Sedgwick’s Distillery is in modern times best known as the home of the international award-winning Bain's Cape Mountain Whisky and the impressive Three Ships range. The current epicentre for the South African whisky industry; James Sedgwick’s Distillery holds a number of impressive distinctions: it is the home of the first 100% South African whisky blend, as well as the first single malt and grain. The process of creating these whiskies takes place entirely on-site, from the milling of raw ingredients to the fermentation, distillation, maturation and blending.
- Winner - 2020 World Whiskies Awards - No Age Statement
- Silver - 2019 International Spirits Challenge - World Whisky Single Grain Whisky
- Winner - 2019 World Whiskies Awards - Best South African Grain
- Winner - 2019 World Whiskies Awards - No Age Statement
- Silver - 2018 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Winner - 2018 World Whiskies Awards - 12 Years & Under
- Gold - 2017 The World Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - South African Single Grain - Premium
- Silver - 2017 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
Adding product to your cart