Glenfiddich 18YO Scotch Whisky
- Single Malt
- Scotland, 700ml
This is an outstanding, award winning Glenfiddich single malt. On the nose, a remarkably rich aroma with ripe orchard fruit, baked apple and robust oak. On the palate, richly delivers luxurious dried fruit, candy peel and dates. Overlaid with elegant oak notes. Warming, rewarding and distinguished finish.
- Distillery: Glenfiddich Distillery
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Region: Speyside, Scotland
- Alcohol: 40%
- Volume: 700ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
"We use fine Spanish Oloroso wood and American oak to mature this rich, intriguingly fruity and robust oak expression, but there are many more reasons why this expression is special. Every batch is individually numbered and carefully watched over. Each has extraordinary consistency and character from an intense marrying period, and a warming, distinguished finish. A truly exceptional single malt, the result not just of 18 years of care and attention, but of whisky-making craft and knowledge passed down through the generations." Glenfiddich
Glenfiddich is one of three William Grant-owned whisky distilleries which sit in relatively close proximity to each other to the north of Dufftown, the spiritual heart of Speyside. Founded in 1886, by William Grant Balvenie fame, the Glenfiddich distillery is currently one of but three distilleries to bottle on site, and houses stills with a total annual capacity of 13 million litres. Furthermore, Glenfiddich matures its single malt whisky in its onsite warehouses, which can house up to 800,000 casks. Malt is bought in, a proportion of this is malted at the neighbouring Balvenie distillery.
Following the end of the Second World War and the resulting surge in whisky demand, Glenfiddich was a relatively small brand and faced hefty competition from the blended scotch brands which held a veritable monopoly on the market.
Rather than competing directly, Glenfiddich concentrated on single malt sales and in 1963 became the first Scotch whisky to be marketed as such, flying proudly in the face of critics. The gamble paid off, and eleven years later sixteen new stills were installed to cope with demand.
The range is now large and includes several cask finishes as well as a 2002-released 1937 vintage, of which there are just sixty-one bottles. Each came with a recommended Glenfiddich price of £10,000.
Glenfiddich was the first distillery with a visitor centre, which today receives 125,000 visitors per annum and underwent a £1.7 million rebuild in 2005. World famous, Glenfiddich is the number one top-selling single malt whisky not only in the UK, but also globally.
However, in 2010, a rather extreme weather accident created a unique opportunity. Heavy snowfall caused some of the warehouse roofs to collapse, exposing maturing casks to the elements, a frosty -19°C! People were working round the clock to save the casks, and as a tribute to them, the Malt Master created Snow Phoenix, marrying the rescued casks to create a limited edition single malt. In 2016, the distillery introduced its Experimental Series, which has resulted in a few very popular expressions, including Winter Storm and an IPA cask-finished single malt.
- Gold - 2014 Jim Murray's Whisky Bible - Liquid Gold Award
- Gold Outstanding - Speyside - 2014 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt
- Master - 2014 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13 YO-18 YO
- Gold - 2019 International Spirits Challenge - Distillers' Single Malts between 13 YO -20YO
- Gold - 2019 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Speyside
- Gold - 2019 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13YO -18YO
- Gold - 2017 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Speyside
- Gold - 2015 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13YO-18YO
- Gold - 2014 International Spirits Challenge - Distillers' Single Malts between 13YO-20YO
- Gold - 2013 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13YO-18YO
- Silver - 2018 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13YO-18YO
- Silver - 2013 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13YO-18YO
- Silver Outstanding - 2013 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Speyside
- Silver - 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition - Single Malt Scotch - 13YO-19YO
Adding product to your cart