Glenfiddich 15YO Solera Whisky
- Single Malt
- Scotland, 700ml
On the nose, sweet heather honey and vanilla fudge combined with rich dark fruits. On the palate, silky smooth, revealing layers of sherry oak, marzipan, cinnamon and ginger. Full-bodied and bursting with flavour. To finish, satisfyingly rich with lingering sweetness.
- Distillery: Glenfiddich Distillery
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Region: Speyside, Scotland
- Alcohol: 40%
- Volume: 700ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
This Solera Fifteen has been matured in American bourbon, Portuguese sherry and virgin oak casks. The whisky was then married in a Solera vat. This is a great staple 15 year old from the Glenfiddich distillery.
Glenfiddich is one of three William Grant-owned whisky distilleries which sit in relatively close proximity to each other to the north of Dufftown, the spiritual heart of Speyside. Founded in 1886, by William Grant Balvenie fame, the Glenfiddich distillery is currently one of but three distilleries to bottle on site, and houses stills with a total annual capacity of 13 million litres. Furthermore, Glenfiddich matures its single malt whisky in its onsite warehouses, which can house up to 800,000 casks. Malt is bought in, a proportion of this is malted at the neighbouring Balvenie distillery.
Following the end of the Second World War and the resulting surge in whisky demand, Glenfiddich was a relatively small brand and faced hefty competition from the blended scotch brands which held a veritable monopoly on the market.
Rather than competing directly, Glenfiddich concentrated on single malt sales and in 1963 became the first Scotch whisky to be marketed as such, flying proudly in the face of critics. The gamble paid off, and eleven years later sixteen new stills were installed to cope with demand.
The range is now large and includes several cask finishes as well as a 2002-released 1937 vintage, of which there are just sixty-one bottles. Each came with a recommended Glenfiddich price of £10,000.
Glenfiddich was the first distillery with a visitor centre, which today receives 125,000 visitors per annum and underwent a £1.7 million rebuild in 2005. World famous, Glenfiddich is the number one top-selling single malt whisky not only in the UK, but also globally.
However, in 2010, a rather extreme weather accident created a unique opportunity. Heavy snowfall caused some of the warehouse roofs to collapse, exposing maturing casks to the elements, a frosty -19°C! People were working round the clock to save the casks, and as a tribute to them, the Malt Master created Snow Phoenix, marrying the rescued casks to create a limited edition single malt. In 2016, the distillery introduced its Experimental Series, which has resulted in a few very popular expressions, including Winter Storm and an IPA cask-finished single malt.
- Silver - 2019 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13-18yo
- Gold - 2018 International Wine and Spirit Competition
- Gold - 2017 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Speyside
- Gold - 2015 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13-18yo
- Gold - 2014 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13-18yo
- Silver Outstanding - 2014 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Speyside
- Silver - 2014 International Spirits Challenge - Distillers' Single Malts between 13-20yo
- Master - 2013 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Speyside Single Malts 13-18yo
- Double Gold - 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition - Single Malt Scotch - 13-19yo
- Gold - 2013 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Speyside
Adding product to your cart