Glenkinchie 12YO Single Malt
- Single Malt
- Scotland, 700ml
On the nose, very aromatic and flowery overall. Noticeable vanilla and toasty note. On the palate, a sweet soft start, like crême anglaise, soon becoming flowery again. A really smooth delivery, especially after adding a drop of water. The mid-palate is crisp and then the flavour settles into a tightly focused bundle of butter icing, lemon cheesecake and freesias. To finish, herbal and drying, a little like potpourri.
- Distillery: Glenkinchie Distillery
- Type: Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Region: Pencaitland, Lowland, Scotland
- Alcohol: 43%
- Volume: 700ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
The flagship expression from the Glenkinchie Distillery, one of the stalwarts of the Lowlands. A fantastic introduction to the region, Glenkinchie 12YO shows off the characteristic lightness and grassy elements that Lowland whiskies are known for, with nods to cooked fruit and Sauternes wine along the way. Brilliant single malt to enjoy as an aperitif on a warm evening.
A distillery was founded on the site of the Glenkinchie distillery by brothers John and George Rate in 1825, under the name Milton. In 1837, the Glenkinchie distillery was registered. The whisky distillery lies south of Pencaitland, drawing its waters from the Lammermuir Hills in East Lothian. Marketed as ‘The Edinburgh Malt’, the Glenkinchie distillery is just fifteen miles away from the city.
A visitor centre has been installed and receives as many as 40,000 tourists a year. Indeed, the Glenkinchie distillery is well-prepared for visitors; there is a museum of distilling, installed by former manager Alistair Munro. Following purchase from John Rate in 1853, the distillery was passed on to the hands of Christie, a farmer who used the buildings as a sawmill. In 1881, a syndicate of Edinburgh-based drinks professionals purchased the distillery and nine years later they founded the Glenkinchie Distillery Company. The following years were spent refurbishing and refitting the buildings.
The Glenkinchie distillery is presently in Diageo hands; Glenkinchie formed Scottish Malt Distillers with four neighbouring Lowlanders. In 1925, Distillers Company Limited acquired Scottish Malt Distillers, latterly amalgamating into the drinks giant, Diageo. Today, Glenkinchie is hard to find independently bottled, there is, however, a comprehensive official range, including special releases and cask finishes.
- Winner - 2016 World Whiskies Awards - Best Lowland Single Malt
- Winner - 2014 World Whiskies Awards - Best Lowland Single Malt
- Winner - 2013 World Whiskies Awards - Best Lowland Single Malt
- Gold - 2016 World Whiskies Awards - Lowland Single Malt 12 Years & Under
- Gold - 2014 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Lowland up to 12yo
- Gold - 2014 World Whiskies Awards - Lowland Single Malt 12 Years & Under
- Gold - 2013 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Lowland up to 12yo
- Silver - 2015 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Lowland up to 12yo
Adding product to your cart