Laphroaig 10YO Whisky
- Single Malt
- Scotland, 700ml
Huge smoke, seaweedy, "medicinal", with a hint of sweetness on the nose. Full bodied and the palate has a surprising sweetness, with hints of salt and layers of peatiness, topped off with a lingering finish. It is a rich, powerful dram that with just one sip transports you to its home on the inner Hebridean island of Islay.
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Region: Isle of Islay, Scotland
- Alcohol: 40%
- Volume: 700ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
John Campbell from Laphroaig Distillery recommends a touch of water to open up the palate massively, providing a dazzling array of additional flavours.
Laphroaig 10 Year Old is an all-malt Scotch Whisky from the remote island of Islay in the Western Isles of Scotland. Laphroaig, pronounced "La-froyg", is a Gaelic word meaning "the beautiful hollow by the broad bay."
Laphroaig is a distillery whose malts are massively individual and utterly distinctive. The distillery was founded in 1810 by brothers Donald and Alexander Johnston on what was originally a family run farm in a small bay on the southernmost tip of Islay. Laphroaig’s unique flavour comes in part from its vicinity to the coast and the high moss content of its peat, which is processed in the distillery’s own floor maltings.
Until 1954, Laphroaig was owned by members of the Johnston family. In 1847, co-founder Donald Johnston died in dramatic circumstances - after falling into a scaulding kettle of burnt ale - and for the next decade Walter Graham, manager of neighbouring distillery Lagavulin, ran the company. Laphroaig returned to Johnston family hands in 1857 when Donald’s son Dugald gained ownership.
Recent owners have included Allied Domecq, who were proprietors from 1990 to 2005. Allied also included the distillery as one of the four single malt makers of Caledonian Malts. Laphroaig (pronounced ‘La-FROYg’) is currently run by the US company Fortune Brands Inc and from 2002 it has consistently been the best-selling Islay single malt whisky worldwide. Within those seven years sales have increased by 50%.
- Silver - NZ Spirits Awards
- Gold - 2019 Jim Murray's Whisky Bible - Liquid Gold Award
- Gold - 2019 Scottish Whisky Awards - Single Malt under 12yo
- Master - 2018 The Asian Spirits Masters (The Spirits Business) - Scotch Whisky - Single Malt - Age Statement 2018
- Gold - 2019 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Islay
- Silver Outstanding - 2017 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Islay
- 3rd Place - 2015 International Whisky Competition - Best Single Malt Scotch 10 Years
- Silver Outstanding - 2014 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Islay
- Silver Outstanding - 2013 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Islay
- Double Gold - 2011 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
Adding product to your cart