Laphroaig Quarter Cask Whisky
- Single Malt
- Scotland, 700ml
On the nose, oily and buttery nose, with toffee, nuttiness, hickory, bicarbonate of soda, rum and raisin ice cream and zest. On the palate, big rush of sweetness, in fact it’s an explosion of sweetness, with fiery chilli heat, TCP, sweet cereals and a touch of cola syrup. At the finish, medium-length, but becomes fruity, with custard and cigar smoke.
- Distillery: Laphroaig
- Type: Single Malt Whisky
- Region: Isle of Islay, Scotland
- Alcohol: 48%
- Volume: 700ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
Released in 2004, this bottling was aged for around five years before being finished in a quarter cask for several months, the size of the cask is quite small, thus does not require such a long maturation. This remains a truly great achievement from Laphroaig.
Laphroaig is a distillery whose malts are massively individual and utterly distinctive. The distillery was founded in 1810 by brothers Donald and Alexander Johnston on what was originally a family run farm in a small bay on the southernmost tip of Islay. Laphroaig’s unique flavour comes in part from its vicinity to the coast and the high moss content of its peat, which is processed in the distillery’s own floor maltings.
Until 1954, Laphroaig was owned by members of the Johnston family. In 1847, co-founder Donald Johnston died in dramatic circumstances - after falling into a scaulding kettle of burnt ale - and for the next decade Walter Graham, manager of neighbouring distillery Lagavulin, ran the company. Laphroaig returned to Johnston family hands in 1857 when Donald’s son Dugald gained ownership.
Recent owners have included Allied Domecq, who were proprietors from 1990 to 2005. Allied also included the distillery as one of the four single malt makers of Caledonian Malts. Laphroaig (pronounced ‘La-FROYg’) is currently run by the US company Fortune Brands Inc and from 2002 it has consistently been the best-selling Islay single malt whisky worldwide. Within those seven years sales have increased by 50%.
- Gold - 2014 Jim Murray's Whisky Bible - Liquid Gold Award
- Gold - Single Malt - NAS - 2018 The Asian Spirits Masters (The Spirits Business) - Scotch Whisky
- Gold - 2017 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Islay
- 3rd Place - 2015 International Whisky Competition - Best Single Malt Scotch (Islay)
- 3rd Place - 2015 International Whisky Competition - Best Single Malt NAS
- Silver Outstanding - 2014 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Islay
- Silver Outstanding - 2013 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Islay
- Silver - 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition - Single Malt Scotch - to 12 Yrs
- Silver - 2019 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Islay
Adding product to your cart