OBAN 14YO Scotch Whisky
- Single Malt
- Scotland, 700ml
This West Highland malt is long, full bodied, smooth and easy. "A mixed nose of heather, honey, pineapple and nuts, a perfectly balanced mix of grapey fruit, pineapple chunks, roast nuts and smoky undertow, and a rounded and fruity finish, drying and more-ish" Dominic Roskrow, Malt Whisky Yearbook
- Distillery: Oban Distillery
- Type: Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Region: Highland, Scotland
- Alcohol: 43%
- Volume: 700ml
- Goes with: Neat or over ice
A bustling seaside resort has grown up around the distillery in the two centuries since it was first built in the fishing town of Oban. The West Highland award winning malt is still produced in the same unhurried, traditional fashion and this 14 year old is a classic dram from the distillery.
The Oban distillery sits in the town of the same name and overlooks the harbour and the sea at Scotland’s western coast. The Oban distillery was founded in 1794 by Hugh and John Stevenson on the site of an old brewery. The distillery dominates the town, despite being rather small and its aesthetics are rather imperial. The pair of stills has a capacity of just 670,000 litres per annum and almost all of this is matured and bottled as single malt Scotch whisky.
Just before the turn of the twentieth century, Oban became part of the Oban and Aultmore-Glenlivet Company. In 1925, the company was acquired by Distillers Company Limited and five years later it was transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers. Following a brief few years of silence, the Oban whisky distillery reopened in 1937 and remained open until 1968 when the distillery was closed for renovation.
In 1972, the stills of Oban ran with spirit once more and in 1988 parent company United Distillers released the Classic Malts range. Oban Scotch was the Western Highlands’ representative in said range. A year later, a visitor centre was inaugurated. The distillery’s popularity has increased greatly in recent years. Independent releases are nigh on impossible to find, though the official range is quite substantial.
- Silver - 2022 NZ Spirits Awards
- Master - 2015 The Scotch Whisky Masters (The Spirits Business) - Highlands & Islands 13-18YO
- Gold Outstanding - 2013 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Highland
- Gold - 2018 SIP Awards
- Gold - 2017 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Highland
- Gold & 92/100 Points - 2018 International Review of Spirits, Tastings.com
- Gold - 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition - Single Malt Scotch - 13-19YO
- 94/100 Points - 2018 Ultimate Spirits Challenge
- Silver Outstanding - 2014 International Wine & Spirit Competition - Scotch Single Malt - Highland
- Silver - 2018 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Finalist - 2018 Ultimate Spirits Challenge
- Bronze - 2018 New York International Spirits Competition
Adding product to your cart